A decorative, good quality, mid-century painted metal road sign showing the coat of arms for the County of East Sussex in distinctive colours of red and gold on a background of white and black. The County Council of East Sussex obtained a grant of arms from the College of Arms on 10th September, 1937. A red shield was adopted and a gold Saxon crown was added to differentiate (in Heraldic terms) from the arms of West Sussex which were on a blue ground. The arms were blazoned as: `
Gules, six three, two and one, and in chief, a Saxon crown, or`. East Sussex County Council was granted a new coat of arms on 29th August, 1975 which are identical save for the addition of a silver wavy line to represent the coastal county boroughs of Brighton, Hastings and Eastbourne which were added to the county in 1974.
Under heraldic law, any change of area or population by 10% means a previous Coat of Arms can no longer be used.
An interesting item of English Heraldic history which can be dated definitively to post-1937 and pre-1975 but due to signs of use and wear, the over-painting of green to grey to the reverse side and slight losses of paint to the front, is probably circa 1937-50.
Ref: website of East Sussex County Council